11 March 2011

Weathering the Leather

I remember the debut of Indiana Jones & the Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I was too young to go see it on that first round of the theaters, but I remember most that almost overnight, new-looking things became passe... especially leather coats.

There was no way I could do this without taking at least some inspiration from the illustrious Doctor Jones.

According to the extras on the Indiana Jones DVD set, the original coat for that movie was bought new and then distressed in one night sitting around the pool at a hotel on the eve of filming.  As I recall, the costumer, Deborah Nadoolman, used a Swiss Army Knife that she borrowed from Harrison Ford and a wire brush to make the jacket look like it had fallen to earth from orbit.

And the rest was cinematic history.

The good Captain may not be an archeologist/adventurer/tomb robber or whatever, but has been throwing himself out of airships with a jet pack strapped to his back for some time now and his jacket has taken a beating.

Talk about action garb.
The paint job isn't finished, but it has been completed to a point where I needed to weather and distress the jacket before continuing further.  So I took a brillo pad, a Swiss Army knife, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and an assortment of sandpaper and went to work on the thing.

It was nerve-wracking for a little while.  Leather jackets are expensi... oh, yeah, I bought this at the thrift store.  I wonder if beating it with rocks would make it look better...

I started by putting on the jacket and marking in chalk the creases and wearpoints.
All of the seams were given a thorough dressing-down using steel wool and rubbing alcohol.
The damage to the Gears-eye should flash happened when I put the jacket on and somersaulted
down the driveway.  I love it and decided to leave it that way.
I paid special attention to places the jetpack harness would wear, up around the neck and shoulders

Some minor touch ups might be required, but only a little. 
It's a balancing act... Worn is good.  Worn out is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment